This Is The Zodiac Speaking is an ambitious take on the notorious unsolved murders of the Zodiac, just going into a Kickstarter campaign with a September release.
There’s definitely a fascination with serial killers for a lot of ‘normal’ people – just check out what’s trending on Netflix, and you get the idea.
This Is The Zodiac Speaking has nothing to do with how the moon is aligned and that you’ll meet a handsome stranger or receive good news this week. Unless you think a sociopath whose cryptology skills make Robert Langdon look like Barney is good news, then you’re in for a shocker.
Unless you aren’t clued up, the Zodiac killer was a real-life murderer whose legacy continues to this day as an unsolved mystery. There are many theories of their true identity, but nobody ever got convicted. Cue countless books and films such as Dirty Harry and later, David Fincher’s Zodiac (coincidentally I saw for the first time last month).
This Is The Zodiac Speaking is a game by Punch Punk Games, and Klabater has gone into a Kickstarter campaign. Set in the 1970s, as per the core incidents, you play journalist Robert Hartnell – a spin on the first name of the actual journalist that wrote the books on the killer and the surname of one of his victims.
Core features in This Is The Zodiac Speaking include:
- Discover the facts and evidence-based story of America’s most famous never-caught serial killer.
- Experience the story from the perspective of a person who survived the attack of the serial killer, face your trauma, and run an investigation that will lead you to the truth about Zodiac.
- Unravel the details behind the murders, visit locations inspired by the original crime scenes, experience real psychological sessions that will help you to manage your traumas.
- Reveal 3 alternative endings, all based upon your investigation decisions.
- Enjoy the atmospheric film music and original retro-inspired art style.
- Travel to the vintage ’70s and feel the old-school vibe while visiting faithfully depicted California’s hallmark spots from the past.
…this game is by no means a homage to serial killers, it’s a story about their victims and the people who survived…The selection of Zodiac is the backdrop we are using to tell a unique story about a troubled protagonistKrzysztof Grudziński, Director and Narrative Designer in Punch Punk Games
The following is a teaser trailer, but have a search on the Steam page for more as I’m getting Hello Neighbor vibes:
This Is The Zodiac Speaking is scheduled for a release date of the 24th of September for PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch. To add to your wishlist on Steam, follow the trail.