Another card game? Am I on the turn or what?! It used to be a cut and paste of disinterest for deck building and visual novels, but like cheap fine wine, it’s matured into a delightful taste – in this case, The Amazing American Circus.
Now, I’m not remotely interested in the circus, never have been since the way they treated Dumbo, but Huge Action changed opinion with The Greatest Snowman. But only a few seconds into the trailer, I was sold – this looks excellent!
What a unique approach; deck-building but for entertainment purposes and not battle ghoulies. There’s nothing wrong with the latter, but The Amazing American Circus is super fresh, yo.
Set in the 19th century, and from developer Juggler Games and publisher Klabater (behind Skyhill), the game is released later in the year. It’s a Kickstarter campaign, and while I’d link to it, they don’t like backlinks, it would seem, so search yourself. Not that deep as an internet search will suffice.
The features says it all:
- 170 hand-illustrated cards
- Recruit and train over 15 different types of circus artists
- 15 types of circus artists, among them mimes, strongmen, and acrobats
- 12 different circus wagons unlocking new skills and options
- 16 different types of audience, whom you have to attract and entertain
- Over 100 modifications and upgrade options for your circus caravan
- 90 cities and towns to visit
- 4 distinct geographical regions – travel across the American continent90 cities and towns to visit
- 1 powerful opponent to defeat – the legendary P.T. Barnum
- 1 but epic adventure akin to Buzz Luhrman’s musicals, Ennio Morricone’s westerns, and the classic road movies
- 60 minutes of a soundtrack inspired by country and folk music from different parts of the USA
Here’s the trailer to kickstart it all:
The Amazing American Circus is set for PC, the Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One later in the year.