Tharsis is a game that ‘demands tough tactical and moral decisions’, and heavily reliant on the roll of a dice. A sci-fi Dungeons & Dragons caper? Not exactly, but having been a release from back in 2016, the developers, Choice Provisions, have been able to give the game an overhaul, re-balancing and optimising Tharsis exclusively for the Switch.
Taking control of the ship, it’s your job to ensure their safety by making the right decision – whether that means rationing their food supplies or even going as far as sacrificing one or two for ‘the greater good’. Expect to see onboard disasters, hunger and murder in what seems to be far from a Disney adventure.
- What can you expect from Tharsis? Here are some of the key features (courtesy of the Nintendo product page):
- A unique mix of a board game and video game mechanics. Make tough tactical and moral choices with the outcome then determined by the roll of your dice. Adapt and rethink continually
- Manage 4 astronauts each with their own mission-critical special abilities. Unlock additional crew members through special challenges and achievements
- Decide who stays healthy, fed and sane as you assign them to tackle multiple disasters unfolding on the ship. Decide who goes head-first into the fires, who gets food and possibly who becomes food
- The fretful and isolated atmosphere of deep space and the fight to not let it become your final grave enhanced by an atmospheric electro soundtrack
- Specifically balanced Easy, Normal and Hard modes for a fair learning curve while also ensuring a merciless challenge for true test seekers
- Additional trial and training missions to hone your survival skills
Tharsis is out now on the Switch.