Taking charge of a steamship in an RPG environment isn’t what you would call the type of game that would reel in the crowds, but Sunless Sea Zubmariner Edition is coming to the Switch, and the original Sunless Sea received much acclaim.
Already out on the PlayStation 4, Sunless Sea Zubmariner Edition is a gothic horror with RPG elements, putting the player into challenging and morbid scenarios where they get to eat their crew. Note those last few words didn’t say eat with their crew.
Published by Digerati and developer Failbetter Games, the Switch and Xbox One ports are being completed by Nephilim Game Studios. With the Sunless Sea Zubmariner Edition, players get the base game and the extensive underwater extension.
The key features of the game include:
- Find your father’s bones. Determine London’s destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea
- Build up your story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost
- Real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs
- Stray too far from civilization and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity
- Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns
- Hire unique officers, each with their own story
- Discover the treasures the zee has claimed
- Choose a ship’s mascot
- Trade or smuggle silk and souls
On a side note, Sunless Sea is the second game from Fairbetter Games. Their debut, The Fallen, is a browser game and free to play at www.fallenlondon.com.
Out on the Switch on the 23rd April for digital download, followed by the Xbox One on the 24th April, Sunless Sea Zubmariner Edition is certainly one to watch out for.