Yep, Assemble Entertainment really are smashing it again. This time around, we have a 1950s sci-fi inspired shoot ’em up; Squadron 51 and has me drooling at the chance to play this 2D/3D action title.
From WhisperGames, 2021 doesn’t sound so far away now we’re in it, and this shmup will be coming to consoles and PC. Inspired by War of the Worlds, Godzilla and Dr Strangelove, this design choice will resonate with niches.
You play as Lieutenant Kaya and face off against martian fighters. Commanded by Director Zarog, the evil enterprise VEGA Corporation will meet their match with Kaya’s Squadron 51.
We’re huge fans of classic sci-fi horror and we jumped at the opportunity to co-publish Squadron 51 with our partner WhisperGames.Assemble Entertainment CEO Stefan Marcinek.
So when can we expect the game to come out? Here’s a revelation: it’s in a Kickstarter campaign first, so if you like what you see, time to invest. In the meantime, here are some key features, followed by the trailer:
- SHMUP Yeah!: Enjoy classic shoot-’em-up gameplay with four unique aircraft that can be customized with special weapons.
- Cinematic Experience: Marvelous black-and-white aesthetics, live-action FMV sequences, and dubbed voices will tell the story of the battle between Squadron 51 and Director Zarog’s alien fleet.
- 11 Ways to Save the World: Fight against enemy ships and bosses in 11 different environments – snowy mountains, forests, cityscapes, and more.
- Rookie Pilots Supported: Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran flying ace, Squadron 51 supports dynamic difficulty that allows every pilot to enjoy the alien extermination.
- Ducks Fly Together!: Fighting an alien horde is more fun with a squadmate! A second player can enter a level at any time — earn points with a co-op player and unlock together new special weapons and upgrades.
If interested in Squadron 51, and why not, you can wishlist on Steam now, or wait for it to come to PS4, Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch in due course.