An Italian survival horror title, Saturnalia will be heading to the Epic Games Store this year.
Yesterday was the starter of a horror title, as always, now we have another but in the mould of a Sardinian survival horror ‘rich in regional Italian culture’.
The story is centred around an ancient ritual that reels in multiple playable characters as they uncover the mysteries of the village. To spice up the survival horror element, if your characters die, they die for good. A little like Heavy Rain?
Perhaps it is like the title above as each death changes the narrative and map, further creating a mysterious aura in this ‘labyrinthian village’, only without David Bowie as the Goblin King.
Saturnalia boasts a writing team that has worked on Firewatch, The Walking Dead and Kentucky Route Zero to name a few, so the story is paramount, but it also helps that the game looks marvellous, with a sketch-like aesthetic.
Core features include:
- Procedural open world, roguelite exploration
- Unique characters with different powers and backstories
- Manage resources and light to survive, remember your paths to safety
- Layered levels, discover shortcuts back to important areas of interest
- Multiple endings, all affected by the “permadeath” of each character
Here’s a teaser trailer:
Saturnalia will be releasing on the Epic Games Store in 2020. More to follow in due course.