Coming to a console or PC near you, a new run and gun rogue-like named Neon Abyss.
I won’t disguise my lack of enthusiasm for rogue-likes as they seem to be swarming the market these days.
With the exceptions of Demon’s Tier+ and Streets of Rogue to name a couple, they’re a bit like visual novels and further down my list of must-play genres – what with me being somewhat crap at these sorts of games.
That said, there are a couple of ingredients thrown into the Neon Abyss pot of catnip that makes me want to play it:
- It’s a Team17 release.
- Hades is in it.
- As per the title, there’s lots of neon.
- There’s also a UFO crane game in the trailer.
Aside from the first one, that may not be enough of a lure for you, but what I will say is it’s a back to form of the classic run and guns, and more purple than Team17 have even been involved with.
Each section in the game is made up of a room with enemies to annihilate and puzzles to solve.
Like a Neil Gaiman novel, you have to overcome the likes of the Gods of Fast Food, Mobile Video, Plushies and Procrastination. The last one is made up, but we all struggle with it, am I right?
Those swindlers who have a Steam account get the chance to play a demo of this now, while the rest of us console gamers will have to wait until mid-July.
In the meantime, here are some features to look out for, courtesy of the developers Veewo Games:
- Evolving Dungeon: Explore the unique and expandable underworld of the neon abyss. Choose a personalised upgrade path to expand the dungeon and unlock new rooms, bosses, items, special rules, and new endings.
- Unlimited Item Synergies: Passive effects between items stack and affect each other, with no limit to the number of effects that can be applied to the player’s character.
- Expansive Content: Dynamically generated maps, over 400 items, dozens of monsters with different styles, and countless secrets ensure that no adventure through the abyss is the same.
- Pets Hatching & Evolving: As you descend into the abyss, find and nurture eggs until they hatch into a random pet. Each pet has a special ability and most can evolve as the action continues.
- Mini-games: Unique rooms of mini-games can be discovered in the dungeon, each one with new mechanics and rules. Take part in piano performances, dance competitions, fight clubs, and much more.
And behold, a video clip for Neon Abyss too:
As mentioned above, you can get the Neon Abyss demo for Steam now, but the full release will be available on the 14th July for the PS4, Switch, Xbox One, and of course, the PC.