Coming in 2021, GRIME – a souls-like action title with RPG elements, heading exclusively to Steam.
Not a next-gen toilet simulator or garage mogul management game but a souls-like Metroidvania coming out in 2021? Announced at Gamescom from Clover Bite and Akupara Games, GRIME looks like a good ‘un.
A third-person side-scrolling action title, once past the flashes of grotesque in-game cutscenes, the gameplay reminded me of the remastered Shadow of the Beast – the music was on par too.
So, what’s it all about, eh? You have to:
crush your foes with living weapons that mutate form and function, and then consume their remains with a black hole to strengthen your vessel as you break apart a world of anatomical horror and intrigue.
With RPG elements, you can upgrade abilities in favour of your playstyle, using enemy traits against them. Not much is known about the character you play other than it was ‘squeezed into existence’ from an unknown material that collapses in on itself.
Based on the title, I’m going to say you’re an evolution of bacteria formed from a pint of milk left in the sun.
GRIME’s features include the following:
- Eye-Popping Surrealism – Uncover mysterious secrets in weeping caves and face-covered desserts. Meet otherworldly characters in distinct civilizations across an organic, interconnected world – all rendered in unearthly 3D. Face foes born of the world itself, and swallow them whole.
- Living Weapons – Seamlessly swap weapons made of living creatures that mutate form during combat, from clawing swords to centipede whips.
- Death-Defying Combat – Punish enemies by parrying their attacks, smash them from the ground or even airborne, and absorb them to grow your strength as you wage war on a living world.
- Unique Skill Progression – Hunt down and absorb challenging monsters to improve your skills and bring true customization to your play style.
- Challenge Menacing Bosses – Battle against creatures dozens of times your size. Adapt to their strategies, withstand their assault, and consume them to gain game-changing abilities that affect both combat and traversal.
Would you like to see the trailer, courtesy of IGN, who is listed in the official promo material:
GRIME is coming to Steam only at the moment, but other platforms are on the horizon. Wishlist it here.