Sure, there’s an official selection that Valve has prepared for the Steam Deck, but I wanted to compile a list of those that I’ve played successfully thus far with this rectangle of digital joy. Apologies, Nintendo Switch, but I just can’t help myself.
All of these games are played out of the box; that is, I’ve not adjusted anything and kept everything on factory settings. You may need to tweak based on your own requirements, but hey; I can only write based on my experience and preferences.
In no particular order (and this will be a bastard of a list as it gets updated):
- Scathe – a bit jumpy in places
- Sunday Gold – perfect, other than a corrupt saved game (possibly not exiting the game properly?)
- Garden Simulator
- Disney Dreamlight Valley
- Chenso Club (the keyboard/gamepad on a desktop was more comfortable, but technically it was sound).
- The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow
- Squad 51 vs Flying Saucers
- Serial Cleaners
- Beacon Pines (the first game I played!)
- Dr Kobushi’s Labyrinthine Laboratory (updated and now verified)
- Food Truck Simulator – a bit jumpy
- The Plague Doctor of Wippra
- Lucy Dreaming
- Blood Nova
- From Space (rendered scenes since fixed)
- A Little To The Left
- Zool Redimensioned
- Bound By Blades
- GrandMa Badass
- Azazel’s Christmas Fable
- Unusual Findings
- Dreams in the Witch House
- Super Trunko Go
There are some ongoing reviews which will go on here once the games are released, plus I’ll aim to add a few of my favourites, too.