Depth of Extinction is a turn-based RPG strategy that’s been heavily influenced by classic XCOM: Terror From The Deep and coming to the Switch next month.
If you haven’t played XCOM: Terror From The Deep, you’ll get the chance to play a variation of it to some degree as the lead developer at HOF Studios had this to say:
My favorite game from back then was Terror from the Deep and I essentially created Depth of Extinction as a spiritual remake of that game with modern gameplay mechanics from games like XCOM and FTL.Mike Stumhofer, HOF Studios
Back in the day, I was quite fond of this and XCOM: UFO Defense.
While keeping the gaming mechanics fresh for players new to the genre, the aesthetic choice is a retro one and almost triggered a flashback.
Here are some of the features:
- Explore a sunken world and build your own story
- Familiar tactical options with a few new twists including action refunds, stealth positioning and ambushes
- Create the ultimate squad from 10 different character classes including the brand new SABOTEUR
- Outfit your team with 115 different weapons, armor, and items
- Fight 30+ unique enemies from 5 factions
- Position your team and then get the kill with stealth
But there comes the point when the words don’t cut it, so how about I show you the Depth of Extinction trailer?
Depth of Extinction is out on the Switch on the 4th June, the Xbox One gets it the day before and PlayStation 4 to be announced.