The 90s were my favourite decade. Forget about all this 80s revision; Kid ‘n Play, flannel shirts and bloodthirsty monsters are where it’s at. Were.
That’s not a metaphor – y’ see, Daymare 1998 pays homage to this awesome decade, giving a smug nod to Resident Evil 2 in the process.
According to developers Invader Studios, they wanted to recreate a fan-made attempt for the PC, which has now evolved to consoles with the assistance of Slipgate Ironworks Studios.
Daymare 1998 is a third-person title with hardcore survival mechanics and has a strategic approach to combat and puzzles.
- Multi-character POV – see the story from different angles and discover the truth;
- Fearsome enemies – rendered in detail with lifelike animations and dismemberment;
- Realistic HUD – check your inventory, health, and the position of a given piece of equipment;
- Environmental puzzles – finding your way around is not always easy, so look for clues;
- Classic mechanics – limited ammo and save points, backtracking, collectibles, tough enemies, and more;
- Modern graphics and effects – not everything is old-school, thanks to Unreal Engine 4;
- Experience the ’90s – the game is an homage to the era, with tons of references.
Interested? Check out the trailer below for Daymare 1998:
Daymare 1998 is available now in Europe both physically and digitally. Due to the Covid-19 lockdown, the physical release has been put back to June the 16th in North America.