There’s no rush to get this out there as it’s not out until 2022, but Oddventure – an upcoming JRPG coming to Switch and the PC, is something to get excited about.
- Before We Leave Review: A Bright Future
- Orbital Bullet Early Access Review: What Goes Around…
- One Hand Clapping Won’t Make You Blind
By Infamous Rabbit (no, the other one) and Pineapple Works, this adventure is set in a cursed fairytale world where you play Charlie – a teenage girl with anger issues and social awkwardness. That’s like saying a teenager with a face.
Charlie is on the lookout for her troublesome younger brother, Bonzo, and to find a way out of this Grimm-like hellhole with its fair share of dark undertones. And not, that’s nothing to do with Oddventure’s 16-bit pixel aesthetic, taking inspiration from some games called Earthbound and Undertale or something.
But what’s the deal with a 2022 release, eh? That’s because it’s going to Kickstarter on the 6th of May. Pending it gets the right funding, we’ll see the game go to launch in Q3 2022.
Proposed key features of Oddventure include:
- Meaningful choices – EVERY decision matters, sometimes in the most unpredictable ways.
- The friendly JRPG where nobody has to die… but can. In a horrible way.
- Countless hidden secrets reference to pop culture and fairy tales.
- Bitter-sweet comedy mixed with some coziness and dark humor.
- Frog milk as a currency.
- A life-changing gaming experience.
Here’s a trailer:
While that’s a long old wait, you can play Oddventure on Steam right now in a playable demo. If it’s something you want to invest in, perhaps consider the Kickstarter campaign next month.