9 Monkeys of Shaolin is a title that instils a lot of hope for me. I love monkeys, and I love martial arts. Please be fighting monkeys, please be fighting monkeys…
I’m sensing a rather pleasant aroma that smells a bit like Jade Empire – that classic RPG adventure by BioWare from the 00s. Ok, so it might not be the same thing, but it has traditional kung fu, which for some reason, isn’t in enough games.
You play fisherman Wei Cheng in 9 Monkeys of Shaolin, who sets out to avenge the death of his fisherman friends (not the lozenges) who were killed in a pirate raid. Equipped with a bo staff, he employs an ancient technique learned from the Shaolin Monks.
Who is this guy?!
Interestingly, it’s the same team behind Redeemer, which featured some immensely satisfying combat, so if that’s anything to go by, 9 Monkeys of Shaolin should be on your list, unless you wanna fight?
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Punch, kick, punch, punch, block, finishing move.Me
Highly influenced by 70s kung fu movies, here are a few more features to expect from 9 Monkeys of Shaolin:
- 3 unique fighting styles: fight on earth, in the air or use mysterious magic seals. Combine these elements to defeat every enemy on your way.
- Captivating narrative: discover the fascinating story of Wei Cheng and follow him as he rises from a simple fisherman to the master of Shaolin martial arts.
- Stunning visual style: unlikely combination of historical and mystical elements gives you an exciting experience from scene to scene
- Extensive character development system: you learn a great deal of ways to victory as you discover various unlockable perks, items and fighting styles.
- More than 25 different levels: Chinese villages, pirate ship, Buddhist monasteries, Japanese mansions, ancient ruins and many more.
- 10 types of Chinese and Japanese polearms, each with its unique traits. Discover the landscapes to find new items!
- Co-op play: invite your friend to help you fight through growing waves of enemies and complete the game together.
Watch the trailer below:
With only a couple of months to go, we can expect to see 9 Monkeys of Shaolin on the 16th October for PS4, Switch, Xbox One and PC.